Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Hooked

While I was writing the Knockout Girl series, two side characters - from different books, no less - caught my attention. I just knew they had compelling backstories. But were they interesting enough to tell a new story of their own? Turns out they were! 

A talented boxer with poor connections and an even poorer attitude, Sofia struggles to find a sponsor. Despite being the best in her league, no one seems to care about how good she is.

Darren, the affluent son of over-protective parents, has been misguided his whole life. Now he’s trying to retrace his steps and relearn how to live his life. And he’s starting with Sofia.

Though reluctant, Sofia agrees to help Darren step up his boxing game in exchange for his help in managing her career. When sparks fly between them, they find themselves learning a lot more than they first hoped for. But is love enough to bridge the chasm between their worlds?

Why I loved writing this novella: first of all, I felt like Sofia and Darren were both protagonist-worthy characters, deserving more attention than the little bit I gave them in Standup Guy and The B-Boy.

You've probably noticed that one of the big themes throughout the series is that not everyone is really as they first seem. Maybe you didn't like seeing (spoiler) Elli lose to Sofia and I'm sure you thought Darren was a jerk when you met him. But when I dug a little deeper, I found that there was a lot more to both of their stories and I hope you'll enjoy finding out those things, too.

Also, Darren and Sofia are from opposite sides of the train track and I couldn't resist writing a story about two people trying to reconcile that through one common interest - boxing, of course. I thought I was done writing about boxing, but apparently I wasn't.

I hope you'll enjoy this side story I wrote. It's got everything you love from the rest of the series - boxing, compelling characters, romance, and even some surprise reappearances from previous characters! 

Hooked is now available on Amazon in ebook, paperback, and on KU!

No comments:

Post a Comment